In our first year, we’ve asked users for their favorite road trip stops from BarBQ joints to historical sites and everything in between. Our town and place reviews offer a variety of destinations for inspiration as you plan a spring break getaway, but we bet you’re most interested in the beaches. Here are the top sandy spots on both coasts, celebrated for beautiful views, fun things to do, and our favorite: great locals.
- Linda Mar Beach is as cherished for surfing and beauty as it is for having a walk-up Taco Bell on site. Locals love this unique convenience in addition to a nice walking trail and the tide pools at the north end.
>>Explore Pacifica with the McNavigators from their 2011 Best of the Road visit.
- Myrtle Beach, one of the 2011 Most Fun finalists, is widely known for its appeal to the whole family. From its famous variety of mini golf courses to tons of activities along the boardwalk, there is truly something for everyone.
>>See TravelingJules and Joan’s Fun to the Max video from Myrtle Beach this summer.
- Fort De Soto is still considered unspoiled and a natural beauty by frequent visitors. The white sand, doggy beach, and fort itself are some of its many highlights. Floridians appreciate its lack of commercial development and few hotels in particular.
>> There is a great bed and breakfast nearby.
- Seagrove Beach lies right between the Florida panhandle’s popular Destin and Panama City attractions. This calm, relatively secluded stretch along 30A boasts preserved white sand dunes and rare inter-coastal lakes that connect to the Gulf. Look for the friendly natives who remember the beach long before spring break hit.
>>Or visit the main spring break attraction: Destin beaches.
- Jekyll Island promises sea-turtle sightings, a dog-friendly beach, and plenty of recreational activities. A barrier island on the Atlantic, this vacation destination offers peaceful relaxation, great fishing, and beautiful views. Our users can’t help but go back after one visit.
>>The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a Best Historic Hotel contender.
- Coronado Beach is such a popular spot, parking can be scarce. This is both a fun and beautiful Californian coast with room for recreation, friendly people, and beauty galore.
>>The town of Coronado was in the running for Most Beautiful.
For more spring break ideas–from beach destinations to regional road trips–visit bestoftheroad.com for user photos and reviews. And join the community! We want to hear about your travels, too.