February means you have two weeks to plan a Valentine’s date that tops your typical last-minute flowers and chocolates. Instead of attempting to land those impossible dinner reservations, you could blow your valentine away with a romantic getaway. See what Best of the Road users have to say about their favorite romantic road trips, destinations, and stops from down south to out west.
- Coral Gables, FL: The City Beautiful offers a luxurious stay at the historic Biltmore Hotel, a relaxing day at the Venetian Pool, or a cultured date browsing one of over 30 art galleries. A Most Beautiful finalist in the 2011 Road Rally, couples will adore the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens, a trolley tour of the community’s distinct architecture, and a variety of fine shopping and dining. See more from the McNavigators visit this summer.
- Sea Breeze Manor Bed & Breakfast in nearby Marco Island leads Best of the Road’s Best Romantic Hotel category. Our users praise its “charming” and “quaint” accommodations right on Boca Ciega Bay where you can relax on the beach and view world famous sunsets. See what else Marco Island has to offer on its Bets of the Road town page.
- Asheville, NC is an ongoing Most Beautiful contender on Best of the Road. The town known for George Vanderbilt’s Biltmore estate also hosts “great food, art and music, natural beauty or fun shopping.” The Biltmore features distinctly beautiful accommodations and gardens in addition to the Antler Hill Village & Winery. Asheville’s an ideal destination for any ocassion with diverse offerings and beauty throughout every season, and is perfect for a romantic weekend away. Try an Asheville road trip for eight additional stops.
- A Romantic Virginia Road Trip: For six stops along the eastern coast, explore Virginia Beach with a custom Rand McNally road trip. The itinerary challenges road trippers to see if Virginia really is for lovers and concludes in the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy local landmarks, a highly-acclaimed farmer’s market, and hiking or biking trails as a couple for a cultured and adventurous getaway. Browse our most popular Virginia attractions.
- Crystal River Inn Bed & Breakfast: This Victorian-style inn has been voted one of the best romantic hotels on Best of the Road for its location, garden, and breakfasts. Conveniently located near San Marcos, Texas’ Historic Downtown District, couples can tour the historic courthouse and related buildings, enjoy local dining from quaint cafes to nightlife hot spots, or take a glass-bottom boat ride along the San Marcos River. Crystal River hosts a spa of its own with various packages and romantic getaway deals. Interested in other Texas getaways?
- A California Wine Country Road Trip is undoubtedly a bold endeavor with 18 stops over 187 miles. Our featured itinerary covers much of Napa and is a great tool for customizing a trip of your own. You can’t go wrong covering wine country with theaters, gardens, and landmarks beyond the vineyard tours and tastings. Try a California wine farm.
For more road trips, small town destinations, or serendipitous stops visit bestoftheroad.com and be sure to share your own experiences–from romantic getaways to family vacations–with photos and reviews.