We’ve rounded up the most popular destinations for winter vacation and recreation from Best of the Road users like you. These small mountain towns have the highest overall votes and plenty to offer this winter for any vacationer. From most beautiful to most fun, here’s what our reviewers had to say about seven ski towns and how you can find out more to plan a visit of your own:
- Sandpoint, ID Our 2011 Most Beautiful Small Town in America is also our highest rated ski town. Schweitzer Mountain boasts skiing, snowboarding, tubing, and snowmobiling in addition to a spa, zip line, and village of diverse dining and shopping. Watch the McNavigators enjoying their visit last summer!
- South Lake Tahoe, CA Our users love Lake Tahoe for its limitless options: “skiing, hiking, biking, watersports, casinos and nightlife, excellent restaurants and friendly locals,” to name a few. The town is celebrated for its beauty and year round appeal with both mountains and beaches.
- Park City, UT We saw Park City’s huge variety of summer offerings on the 2011 Best of the Road Rally, but the town is widely known as a skiing and snowboarding destination. With world-famous slopes and the Utah Olympic Park, this is the place for winter recreation lovers. See how much fun TravelingJules and Joan had in Park City.
- Bangor, ME Competing for most fun and most beautiful, Bangor is a popular northeast destination with skiing and tubing on Hermon Mountain in the winter. With state and national parks, the small town hosts outdoor recreation in addition to alluring monuments, museums, entertainment, dining and shopping.
- Glenwood Springs, CO Chosen as the Most Fun Small Town in America in 2011, Glenwood Springs is an ideal vacation for the entire family. The small town is so proud of its winter accommodations, TravelingJules and Joan were invited back to experience this time of year. Sunlight Mountain Resort hosts skiing, snowboarding and snowmobile tours on Elk Mountain while major attractions like Glenwood Hot Springs Pool and Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park remain available. Read about Glenwood Springs and its fellow finalist towns on your NOOK.
- Mammoth Lakes, CA Mammoth Mountain Ski Area offers skiing, snowboarding, lodging and a variety of winter activities at The Top of California. Reviewers rave of both beauty and friendliness, siting the distinct people, recreation and scenery that draws them there.
- Jackson, WY Frequently referred to as “God’s Country,” the home of Grand Teton National Park has astounding natural beauty. While Jackson Hole is a popular ski destination, the area also boasts a historic downtown, boutique shopping, an abundance of outdoor activities and “wildlife in every season.” Take a road trip to Jackson.
Tell us about your favorite winter getaway whether in these towns or others. Write a review at BestoftheRoad.com and be sure to tweet @bestoftheroad where you’re headed this winter!