Our 2011 Best of the Road Rally was full of surprises, just like any great road trip. Check out the teams’ favorite hidden gems and unsuspecting roadside spots worth a stop.
- Puckett’s Grocery (Franklin, TN) – A place where you can pick up groceries, a tank of gas, and a good Southern meal, Puckett’s has been a staple since the 1950s. The McNavigators loved their wings and pulled pork so much, they plan to take the nine-hour drive back for more.
- Hella’s (Tarpon Springs, FL) – Hella’s was voted the number one place locals eat in this authentic Greek community of 25,000. The Fun Finders were treated to the best traditional Greek salad they’ve ever had, broiled octopus, Saganaki (flaming cheese), and a combination platter of gyro, moussaka, pastisio, dolmades, and tzatziki sauce. They praised the “delicious and authentic” spread with an “Opa!”
- The Nut Tree (Vacaville, CA) – TravelingJules and Joan had a blast in this shopping area turned local landmark. From a miniature train to life-sized chessboards, the fun is endless and undoubtedly unique.
- The Blueberry Place (Nacogdoches, TX) – This one-of-a-kind farm offers self-service blueberry picking paid for through the honor system. Gone With the Wynn’s were blown away by the level of trust and affordability here, and sampling every few blueberries on the spot was quite the perk.
- A Town of One (Monowi, NE) – Who wouldn’t pull over at the sight of a town marker with the number “1” representing the population? Captain and Clark were amazed to find a mayor and city planner who singe handedly runs the local bar and library as well. Be sure to pull over if you stumble across America’s smallest town in Northern Nebraska.
- Adams Originals (Albert Lea, MN) – The Fun Finders were lured to this unique shop when they saw Elvis in the store window. The owner for 40 years was welcoming and spoke highly of the town named “The City of Vitality” for its health and nutrition promotions.
- Paizano’s Pizza (Baker City, OR) – Think you could handle a two-foot pizza on your own? At Paizano’s, if you finish their notorious giant pie in less than a half hour, you make $100 and the pizza’s on the house. The McNavigators weren’t quite up for the challenge, but they enjoyed this slice of beautiful Baker City.
- The Slingshot (Myrtle Beach, SC) – Between time on the beach and rounds of mini golf, see if you can brave a reverse bungee jump while in Myrtle Beach. TravelingJules saw the attraction as yet another adventure and recommends the wild ride to other thrill-seekers.
- The Cave (Richland, MO) – Once a speakeasy and meeting spot in the 1920s, this restaurant in a cave delivers a unique ambiance and a fascinating history. Captain and Clark heard Al Capone may have had a drink here, where the still is hidden in a tiny pocket of the cave.
- Mimi’s (Jackson, MS) – This local café combines food, funk, and art into one fun stop. Gone With the Wynn’s stumbled upon the hot spot for breakfast and loved both the food and shopping. They recommend checking out the cheese grits and decorative matchboxes.
See Best of the Road’s Place Reviews for more roadside attractions and popular pit stops or try one of our 200+ road trips!