The statue in Town Square is lovingly referred to as Chip. In 1899 the Daughters of the Confederacy placed this statue here in honor of the men who died in the Battle of Franklin. There is a chip in the brim of the hat that was even there the day the monument was unveiled. The statue represents a Confederate Solider standing at “parade rest”.
Much of Franklin’s Civil War history is alive today in the preservation of historic sites and the remembrance of the soliders who fought. At Gallery 202 there still remains a dent and burn mark from a cannon ball.
There were hundreds of people out enjoying downtown. People love to get out and enjoy Franklin! And so did we!