NEWS: Short Cuts—Green Travel, A Packing Tip, Where to Find a Bathroom, and More
A quick roundup of travel-related items:
- Adventurous Wench is running a Women’s Travel Contest.
- Virginia is offering anniversary travel savings with its “40 Off” deals.
- Fewer Americans will vacation this summer, says the Associated Press. Not on Memorial Day, says AAA. Not at all, says Kayak.
- The Motorcycle Safety Foundation lists 10 Things All Car & Truck Drivers Should Know About Motorcycles.
- The Union of Concerned Scientists has put together a “Getting There Greener” vacation guide. SustainLane gets you there greener, too.
- Vanity Fair takes flight with Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger and the miracle of Flight 1549’s Hudson River landing.
- ABC News gets its kicks on Route 66. [h/t Lincoln Highway News]
- Chica and Jo get packing and leave extra space for the trip home. [h/t Lifehacker]
- In related news, American Airlines made $278 million in baggage fees last year, claiming the biggest piece of U.S. carriers’ record-setting luggage haul of $1.1 billion. [h/t Digg]
- The name ain’t pretty, but when you really, really need Sit or Squat’s help with where to find a bathroom, you won’t care.
- And just to end on a more pleasant note than that above, artist/educator Jer Thorp has created a mesmerizing visualization of Twitter users’ travels after capturing tweets using the phrases “just landed in” and “just arrived in.” [h/t BoingBoing] — Michael Peck